What is Astrology?
Astrology is the study of the planets and stars and how they affect people and events on Earth. It can be used as a divining tool to predict future events, as a guide for a person to better understand themselves and their motives, and can even help you find a compatible partner!
Astrology is an occult science that uses specific parts to make it work. The most important are the:
- Zodiac Signs
The horoscope is like a heavenly clock split into 12 parts. It is a circular diagram calculated by astrologers using a person’s birth time, date, and location. A person’s horoscope reveals the position of the planets, the angles they make, and the other main components.
The horoscope can be used as a map or guide to see one’s strength and weaknesses. It can reveal what kind of person you are and how you respond to events and situations. One of the most important uses of the horoscope is to reveal a person’s talent and potential.
As I mentioned previously, there are 12 zodiac signs. They are:
- Aries (March 21 – April 19)
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20)
- Gemini (May 21 – June 20)
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22)
- Leo (July 23 – August 22)
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22)
- Libra (September 23 – October 22)
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)
- Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20)
These signs are actually constellations in the sky that have been given archetypes and qualities that are embodied by those whom fall under its sign. For example, Leo has been given the qualities of being proud, flashy, lively, and stubborn. Those who are born under its sign tend to be that way as well.
Each zodiac sign is connected with the 4 elements of nature: Fire, Earth, Air, and Water.
- Fire = Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
- Earth = Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
- Air = Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
- Water = Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
These are called the Triplicities due to each element having 3 zodiac signs associated with it. The elements are also used to see if you’re compatible with someone. Signs in the same element are said to get along well (fire + air and water + earth). More emphasis on zodiac signs will be discussed in later posts.
The planets represent characteristics and principles that are expressed through the zodiac signs it’s in. The planets in astrology are the
The Sun and Moon are actually luminaries, however, in astrology they are considered planets. Each planet has it’s own qualities and principles associated with it.
- Sun = Ego; Energy; How we present ourselves to the world
- Moon = Subconscious; Emotions
- Mercury = How we communicate
- Venus = Our relationship with others; Our love nature
- Mars = Energy; Passion; Going after our desires
- Jupiter = Abundance; Luck
- Saturn = Discipline; Duties; Restrictions
- Uranus = Rebellion
- Neptune = Dreams; Subconscious
- Pluto = Transformation
The planets plays a major role in interpreting a horoscope. Along with the aspects and houses, it is one of the best indicators in helping one find out their hidden talents, the best career path, and more.
The aspects in astrology refer to the angles the planets make with one another in a horoscope. The main aspects astrologers use are the
- ☌ Conjunction 0°
- ✱ Sextile 60°
- ☐ Square 90°
- Δ Trine 120°
- ☍ Opposition 180°.
Each aspect, based on their degree, tell how two planets interact with one another. A sextile, for instance, is considered an “easy” aspect. The two planets involved are in compatible elements: fire + air and water + earth. The sextile reveals planets in harmony with one another and gives an easy going and passive energy. The square on the other hand is considered a “hard” aspect. The planets involved are in opposing elements (fire + water, air + water, fire + earth, air + earth) and bring friction and tension. Though the square is said to be difficult, the energy it brings can help to push a person forward and to transform outdated behavior and patterns, which is essential for growth.
More on aspects in future posts.
There are 12 houses in a horoscope and each one is unique within itself. The houses govern an area of life that one may encounter such as people, the state of affairs in one’s life, and places/locations.
- 1st House = The Self
- 2nd House = Money & Finances
- 3rd House = Education, Teaching, Short Distance Travel
- 4th House = Home
- 5th House = Creativity, Children, & Recreation
- 6th House = Health & Service
- 7th House = Relationships
- 8th House = Birth, Death, & Regeneration
- 9th House = Philosophy, Long Distance Travel, Higher Education
- 10th House = Career
- 11th House = Society & Friends
- 12th House = Secrets, Mysticism, Institutions
The houses begin with Aries ruling the 1st house and ends with Pisces the 12th. In a personal horoscope, however, the first house will be the house of your Ascendant (the zodiac sign rising on the eastern horizon at the time of your birth) and continues with the following signs until all twelve houses are filled. (Ex: If your Capricorn is on the 1st house, the 2nd house will be Aquarius, the 3rd Pisces, Aries on the 4th, Taurus on the 5th, etc)
Astrology is a science and ancient art that has been used by those who want to better understand themselves and learn how to reach and utilize their full potential. Astrology can help you to choose the best career path, find your true love, and help to magnify and magnetize your best qualities while strengthening your weaknesses. In future articles I will be giving a more in depth explanations on these important factors in astrology as well as how you can use the horoscope to lead a more fulfilling and satisfied life.